Federalists Meet Restorationists, Which Group Will Perform The Osmosis?
By NFOR Hanson NCHANJI
The All Southern Cameroons People’s General Conference organized by those considered as Federalists, is underway in the USA. However major figures in the Ambazonia revolution have answered present, triggering discussions and debates on the possible ‘poisoning’ of their minds to embrace Federalism.
The Conference which began on Friday March 29, 2019 has as main organizer, Dr Fontem Neba, who is considered to be federalist.
The event is the first of it’s kind organized to group people of different ideas to end Cameroon’s colonial conflict in Southern Cameroons.
Five major personalities including the Acting Interim President of Ambazonia, Dr Sako Ikome, are taking part in the meeting.
Dr Ayaba Cho Lucas of the AGC turned down the invitation, describing the organizers as “Enablers”.
However, the front line leaders on day one of the conference have maintained their stands on the current political impasse.
An observer narrates that, ” Ntumfor Boh is so Frank to the international observers, quoting a lot of people or countries who have gone their separate ways and Ambazonia and LRC must go their separate ways, Boh has stolen the show. He says Dr. Fontem has pulled us together etc so encouraging however fear of the unknown lies ahead. Talking to Cho Ayaba, calling him to come home and says they used to accuse him of head strong and he is changing but Ayaba is also head strong but we should all come together, Boh is taking the international observers to task, claps everywhere in the house”
Other participants have proposed a referendum to end the conflict adding that , this is a year of referendum and that Southern Cameroons should be considered.
The Conference continues this Saturday March 30 as resolutions are awaited. It is not yet clear which group will be able to pull the other around in the current quest to end the bloody war.
Objectives of the Conference:
Organizers of the All Southern Cameroons People’s General Conference say the means reasons for the come-together are to;
-Identify the problems which have plagued their existence since they obtained independence by joining the Republic of Cameroon in 1961;
– Review the social, economic and political factors that led to the 2016 strikes, government handling of the crisis, its escalation, the onset of the civil war and the loss of property and lives;
– Evaluate the efforts made so far by government and the people of Southern Cameroons to stem down the crisis and the outcomes (if any);
– Ascertain the nature and extent of the humanitarian crisis resulting from the burning of villages, hospitals and how refugees and IDPs can be integrated in the overall drive for peace;
– Chart the way forward for a sustainable peace and the role of the international community in achieving it;
– Reconcile Southern Cameroons political groups and rally them around this cause for peace, outlining a code of conduct to govern political activities before, during and after the peace process.
Intended Outcome of the Conference
When the conference holds, it is expected to achieve the following:
1. Heighten international awareness of a conflict which has been treated in the media as simple “Anglophone Problem”. It is a burgeoning war that has become genocidal. The international needs to take action to avert another Rwanda.
2. Develop a common strategy for peace within a viable framework for a long term solution and the role the international community can play within it.
3. Reconcile the different political groups and ideological leanings towards a common or consensus position.